Pores are small openings in the skin that allow oil and sweat to come to the surface of the skin. It is impossible to remove pores. Pores will become more prominent as we age. As we age our skin loses some of the collagen and elastin that supports the pore opening. As this happens, the pores may become more visible. Genetics can also play a role in pore size and men tend to have larger pores.
- Cleansing – cleansing (not scrubbing) may reduce the size of your pores. Cleansers containing salicylic or glycolic acids may benefit your pore size.
- Sun Avoidance – sun exposure speeds up the aging process by destroying collagen and elastin which support the opening of the pores. Protect your skin by wearing a broad brimmed hat and avoid sun exposure from 10:00am to 3:00pm
- Sun Blocks – Using a good sunblock like EltaMD daily will help prevent the breakdown of your collagen and elastin. EltaMD has sunblocks meant to be used on patients with oily skin.
- Topicals – Vitamin A derivatives such as in Retinols and tretinoin are beneficial in exfoliating the skin.
- Chemical Peels – Chemical peels vary in strength but when performed on a regular basis you will see improvement in the size of your pores.
- Microdermabrasion – Microdermabrasion has been shown to decrease the size of the pores but must be completed regularly to maintain results.
- Fractional Lasers – The HALO laser by Sciton has been shown to decrease pore size in studies.
- BBL (Broadband Light) – There are good studies showing that regular treatments with BBL significantly improve pore size along with skin tone and texture. The process is called Forever Young BBL.