A gummy smile can be caused by multiple factors. Factors include hyperactive muscles that elevate your upper lip when you smile, abnormal development of the upper jaw or the way the gums formed.
- Botox/Dysport– These are the easiest treatments to perform. The injections take only minutes and are only slightly uncomfortable and the results will last 3 to 4 months.
- Orthodontics – moving the teeth may prevent the upper lip from raising too much. This will give a reduction in the amount of gums that show when smiling.
- Gum Surgery – we do not do this but it is an option for those that have excess gum tissue.
- Lip repositioning surgery – This involves removing some of the mucosal tissue to the upper lip and then suturing the tissue into a lower position.
- Jaw repositioning – this should only be completed by a maxillofacial surgeon, ENT surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. This involves repositioning the jaw to correct the underlying cause of the gummy smile.
At Lazaderm, we do not do some of these procedures but we do feel that it is important for you to consider all of your options.